DecisionData.org presents information collected independently from official provider websites. We regularly update the site in an effort to keep this information up-to-date and accurate at all times. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which DecisionData.org receives compensation.
Home internet plans aren’t cheap, and equipment rental fees only add to the cost. Modems, which bridge the connection between the inbound cable or fiber line and your computer, can cost up to $14/mo. to rent from Xfinity – that’s $168 a year. At that rate, buying your own modem can pay for itself in just a few months. We’ve shopped around to find the best modem for Xfinity customers on every type of internet plan.
Best Xfinity Compatible Modems
|NETGEAR CM Series||$39.99 – $249.99||10 Gbps|
|Arris SURFboard SB8200||$169.99||1 Gbps|
|Motorola MB7220||$46.99||343 Mbps|
|NETGEAR C6250||$159.99||680 Mbps|
The Best Internet Modem for Xfinity
- Best overall: NETGEAR CM Series
- Best for high-speed plans: Arris SURFboard SB8200
- Best budget option: Motorola MB7220
- Best modem + WiFi router combo: NETGEAR C6250
Best Overall Internet Modem for Xfinity: NETGEAR CM Series
- Very affordable options available in the series
- Top speeds on high-end models are impressive
- 24/7 tech support available for 90 days from purchase
- Only a one-year hardware warranty provided
- Must purchase from specific retailers to use free tech support
When you’re choosing the best modem for Xfinity, you don’t want to pay for anything more than you need. That’s why the NETGEAR CM Series modems are the best overall option for most plans. The eight models in this line are tiered by maximum download speed so you can match your modem to the Xfinity internet plan you’ve chosen.
The modems start at $39.99 for the NETGEAR CM400, which supports download speeds up to 100 Mbps, and go all the way up to $249.99 for the NETGEAR CM1150V, which includes 2000 Mbps download speeds and voice support.
While the NETGEAR CM series modems don’t support WiFi, they are compatible with any WiFi router. Each modem in the series comes with a one-year limited warranty as long as you register the product with NETGEAR within 90 days of purchase.
Best Xfinity-Approved Modem for High-Speed Plans: Arris SURFboard SB8200
- Compatible with many major cable internet providers
- Two-year limited warranty available
- Two Ethernet ports
- Might not work for budget customers
- Customers have to pay for real-time support
- May not work with smaller internet providers
If you like to enjoy high-speed internet plans for online activities like gaming, you need a reliable modem that can support the bandwidth. The best internet modem for Xfinity plans up to 1 Gbps (or 940 Mbps) is the Arris SURFboard SB8200. This model is one of the best-selling and highest rated on Amazon and is ideal for those who need fast, reliable internet.
The Arris SURFboard SB8200 has two Ethernet ports, giving you the option of connecting both a WiFi router and a computer, or even creating two separate home WiFi networks. The two-year warranty is also a better deal than you’ll find with many other modem manufacturers.
Best Budget Option: Motorola MB7220
- Fast, easy Xfinity modem setup available
- Includes tech support
- Two-year warranty
- Doesn’t have the fastest available speeds
- Only one Ethernet port
When your primary goal in purchasing a modem is to save money from monthly fees, it might make more sense to go with a lower-cost model. At just $46.99, the Motorola MB7220 is the most budget-friendly available without sacrificing quality or service. It’s recommended by the manufacturer as the best cable modem for Xfinity internet speeds up to 200 Mbps, although in reality, you might get download speeds up to 343 Mbps.
The Motorola MB7220 is accompanied by a two-year warranty, providing even more value for the price. Just keep in mind that you’ll also need to purchase a WiFi router if you want a wireless connection.
Best Modem + WiFi Router Combo: NETGEAR C6250
- Good for streaming HD videos and online gaming
- Works with most major national ISPs
- Has fastest cable internet speeds during peak hours
- May not work with all internet providers
- Only has a limited one-year warranty
Most of the Xfinity compatible modems on our list don’t include built-in WiFi. If this is a must for you, the best internet modem for Xfinity that also functions as a WiFi router is the NETGEAR C6250. In addition to working as a normal modem, this device eliminates the need to purchase an additional router by supporting WiFi for up to 25 devices.
The NETGEAR C5250 is recommended for plans up with download speeds to 300 Mbps. The signal is strong enough to cover an area of 1,500 sq. ft.; if your home is significantly larger than this, you may benefit from purchasing an additional WiFi extender.
What to Look for When Buying a Modem
Channel bonding allows you to combine two adjacent channels in the same frequency band to increase the strength and speed of your connection. Many modems with multiple channel capability allow you to channel bond on demand – if you do a lot of high-bandwidth activities online, it’s an important feature.
Max recommended speed
The maximum recommended speed tells you how fast you can upload and download data. For activities like streaming movies and uploading large documents from your computer to the web, you’ll want to make sure you have adequate speed coverage.
Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) lets you add data transfer to an existing cable TV system. Essentially, it allows you to increase internet speeds without sacrificing your television service.
More Modem Buying Tips
- Check your speed. Modems have a download speed limit, so make sure you choose one that matches the speed you’re paying for through your Xfinity plan. On the other hand, there’s no point in spending the money for a modem with a maximum download speed significantly higher than what you plan to use at home.
- Don’t buy a DSL modem for Xfinity. They are a cable internet provider; a DSL modem won’t work with your Xfinity plan, so make sure you purchase a cable modem.
- Look at the warranty. The best modem for Xfinity internet should last you for years to come. At the very least, avoid buying a modem that doesn’t come with at least a one-year warranty.
Need an Xfinity Internet Plan?
Before you can choose a modem, you’ll have to pick the internet plan you want to use it with. There are many different types of Xfinity plans, but their availability depends on where you live. Use this link to find an Xfinity plan in your area.