Viasat InternetCheck Availability
April 17, 2020
DecisionData.org presents information collected independently from official provider websites. We regularly update the site in an effort to keep this information up-to-date and accurate at all times. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which DecisionData.org receives compensation.
Formerly known as Exede for its internet services, Viasat is a massive provider for both home internet and business internet. It is also a trusted partner for the security and defense industries and provides aviation internet services. With its headquarters in Carlsbad, California, Viasat has 28 domestic offices, ten international offices and field technicians in 42 states.
Viasat’s internet uses artificial intelligence to improve load times and process speeds. There are also enhanced protection tools with built-in online trackers, data saver mode and ad blockers. It has also partnered with DIRECTV to provide over 200 HD channels.
Customers have access to a convenient online portal where you can manage your account and receive tech support. Viasat employs over 250 technicians, field engineers and customer support reps to help with your inquiries with several dedicated contacts for training.
Viasat offers one of the most versatile ordering processes we’ve seen, with three different options. You can sign up online, by phone or in-person with a local retailer.
Viasat offers several home satellite internet plans with a minimum 24-month term for most contracts.
|Internet Type||Speed||Data Caps||Contract||Starting At||Availability|
|Satellite||Up to 100 Mbps||No||Yes||$50/mo.||Check Availability|
Viasat internet plans
Viasat internet plans feature unlimited data, something that will cost you handsomely with other companies. Internet speeds are much lower than those offered by other companies and require a 24-month contract. An option for a short-term contract is also available but first requires a non-refundable $300 payment.
Unlimited Bronze 12
With speeds of up to 12 Mbps, Viasat’s starter plan is ideal for smaller households with speeds appropriate for casual browsing on one or two devices. It is good for streaming videos with a video quality of 360p.
Unlimited Silver 25
Viasat’s most popular plan, the Unlimited Silver 25, offers download speeds of up to 3 Mbps. It’s ideal for up to three users that are streaming a resolution of 480p or higher.
Unlimited Gold 50
Viasat’s Gold package has download speeds of up to 50 Mbps, which is great for a family of four. It is capable of streaming resolutions up to 720p.
Unlimited Platinum 100
Viasat’s Platinum plan gives speeds of up to 100 Mbps and is recommended for households with five people or more. At these higher speeds, you are also able to stream top-quality video at 1080p resolution.
- Download speeds up to 100 Mbps
- No data caps
Pricing per month plus taxes for length of contract, unless otherwise stated. Additional fees and terms may apply. Pricing may or may not reflect promotional, bundle and/or other offers available. Pricing varies by location and availability. All prices subject to change at any time. May or may not be available based on service address. Speeds may vary.
Viasat bundle packages
Viasat also offers phone service and TV through DIRECTV. When you bundle internet and phone, you receive $10 off your bill each month for the first six months.
Viasat Internet + Voice Phone
- Internet and phone services
- Internet speeds of 12 Mbps and higher
- Includes unlimited local and long-distance calling to Canada
Viasat Internet + DIRECTV
- Internet and TV services
- Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps
- Over 200 HD channels
Viasat internet fees
With Viasat, there are many fees that can make their way onto your bill. Viasat bills in advance for many of its initial fees, including both its service and lease fees.
One-time fees include:
- Installation fee: A one-time installation fee of $99.99 will be charged unless you receive a promotional waiver.
- New service fee: Viasat warns that your first bill may be higher due to a possible new service fee.
- Non-refundable deposit: Plans with no long-term contracts require a non-refundable deposit of $300.
- Service calls: Unless you are an EasyCare member, service calls are an average of $95 per visit.
- Annual dish relocation: Customers may have up to one dish relocation each year for $200 or $95 for EasyCare members.
- Equipment purchase: Instead of paying the monthly equipment lease fee, you can pay a one-time prepaid equipment fee of $299.99 for the life of the equipment.
- Non-activation charge: Depending on your DIRECTV plan, you may be assessed a fee of $150 per receiver.
There are recurring fees, too:
- Equipment lease fee: This fee is charged at either $9.99 or $10 each month, depending on your plan.
- Service fee: A monthly service fee may be assessed based on your plan.
Viasat internet deals
Viasat offers many deals that can offer incredible savings, but the qualification process depends on where you live and whether you are a new customer. You may also qualify for free standard installation.
When you bundle your TV and internet, Viasat gives you DIRECTV and HBO free for a year. You can also receive three months of SHOWTIME, STARZ, Cinemax and Epix. First-year prices run $45 per month for one year after discounts, but second-year prices are more. Channels also automatically renew at their standard rate.
Viasat data caps
Viasat offers unlimited data, but once you reach a certain level of data usage, the company will automatically slow your speeds and prioritize other customers’ data before yours.
This happens are pre-set levels depending on your plan:
- Bronze 12 – 35 GB or 40 GB
- Silver 12 – 45 GB
- Gold 12 – 65 GB
- Bronze 25 – 35 GB
- Silver 25 – 60 GB or 100 GB
- Gold 30 – 100 GB
- Gold 50 – 100 GB
- Platinum 100 – 150 GB
While your data may be unlimited, you can expect slower speeds during peak hours.
Viasat uses local satellite retailers to help with sales, service and installation within your area. One of the largest internet providers, it is available in 42 states. To confirm Viasat is available at your home, use our zip code tool.
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Pros and cons of Viasat internet
- Great for smaller households
- Flexible plans
- Unlimited data
- No-contract option
- Satellite internet can be unreliable
- Bundles require two-year contracts for DIRECTV and internet
- Slow speeds at peak hours
- Prices increase after three months