DecisionData.org presents information collected independently from official provider websites. We regularly update the site in an effort to keep this information up-to-date and accurate at all times. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which DecisionData.org receives compensation.
Optimum's COVID-19 Response
Optimum is doing its part to keep its employees and customers safe during the pandemic. In keeping with CDC guidelines, they have closed vulnerable locations and reduced hours of operations.
Optimum Internet At A Glance
Optimum is only available in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. If you live outside of these areas, you won't have access. It does have reasonably high speeds and prices for its internet and TV services. In fact, Optimum's prices are, on average, $15 cheaper than many of the larger cable internet providers. But, with a slew of extra fees tacked on, your monthly charges will likely be much more than the advertised price.
|Plan||Type of Service||Speed||Contract||Data Cap||Starting Price||Availability|
|Optimum 20||Cable||Up to 20 Mbps||Yes – 1 year||None||$29.99||Check Availability|
|Optimum 200||Cable||Up to 200 Mbps||Yes – 1 year||None||$44.99||Check Availability|
|Optimum 300||Cable||Up to 300 Mbps||Yes – 1 year||None||$39.99||Check Availability|
|Optimum 400||Cable||Up to 400 Mbps||Yes – 2 years||None||$64.99||Check Availability|
|Optimum 1G||Cable, Fiber||Up to 1 GB||Yes – 1 year||None||$69.99||Check Availability|
Optimum Internet Packages
Optimum provides high-speed internet to residents in its coverage area. Be advised that packages and speeds vary greatly depending on where you live. Below are the Optimum internet-only plans.
- Up to 200 Mbps high-speed internet
- Good for multiplayer gaming and multi-device streaming
- No phone connection required
- Up to 300 Mbps high-speed internet
- Best for multiple streaming and heavier-than-average use
- Fast downloads of large media files
- Stream video and music on multiple devices at one time
- Up to 400 Mbps high-speed internet
- Steam 4K UHD on multiple devices
- Connect all smart-home devices at one time
- Fast download times for gaming, multi-person streaming and larger media files
Optimum 1 G
- Up to 1 GB of high-speed internet
- Best WiFi speeds available from Optimum
- Best choice for multi-connected smart homes
- Fastest download times for streaming and gaming and larger media files
- Only available in select areas within Connecticut, New Jersey and New York
- Currently unavailable to Optimum customers in Pennsylvania
Actual speeds may vary. Services subject to availability and all applicable terms and conditions.
Optimum Bundle Packages
Optimum internet plans are available in different bundled offers, including Altice One. With Altice One, you get TV, internet, streaming apps, 4K and more. Bundling is one of Optimum's big pricing strategies, as you can get basic Optimum internet service and cable TV service bundled together for cheaper than the TV service by itself. Optimum arranges their bundles by internet, TV and phone.
Optimum Internet Fees
Optimum has several charges that creep into their otherwise low-cost plans. Still, some of these fees can be lowered or avoided. The equipment rental fee is only if you need their equipment. If you supply your own router and modem, you can prevent that monthly cost. Setup and installation are harder to get around, as it is not usually something that companies let customers do on their own. However, some of the bundled plans do come with free installation.
Optimum Internet Deals
Optimum Internet online deals and promotions vary depending on where you live. That means that someone in New York may get a better or different deal than someone who lives in New Jersey. To be eligible, you must be a new customer of Optimum who has not received any Optimum products within the past 30 days. These deals are promotional as of March 17, 2020 and are subject to change.
Optimum Data Caps
Optimum advertises no data caps on its website. However, they do have an excessive use policy that addresses data consumption by subscribers. Common activities would likely include numerous or continuous bulk transfers of files, high capacity file transfers, peer-to-peer applications and newsgroups, all of which result in excessive data consumption. Optimum does not say what fees are charged for overages.
Optimum is not available in every area of the U.S. In fact, Optimum only serves New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Connecticut.
To find out if you can get service in your area, check your ZIP code.
Pros and cons of Optimum internet
- No data caps (except for excessive usage)
- Good overall pricing – competitive with larger providers
- Fast internet speeds
- Four internet plans that meet most every need
- One reasonably priced TV + Internet bundle, plus bundles with other products
- Only available in the New York tri-state area
- Must sign a one-year contract to get the advertised prices
- Must sign a two-year contract to get Altice One bundled pricing
- Cancel service before your contract is done and you will pay early termination fees
- Renting a modem costs $10/mo.
- Without a promo, the regular installation cost is about $149.99
- Offers only one bundle plan for TV and Internet