DecisionData.org presents information collected independently from official provider websites. We regularly update the site in an effort to keep this information up-to-date and accurate at all times. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which DecisionData.org receives compensation.
AT&T Internet Overview
A telecommunications giant that began life more than 140 years ago as a phone company, AT&T has long been known for innovation. Today, the company offers internet packages in 21 states. Ranked second behind Verizon Fios, AT&T earned an American Customer Satisfaction Index score of 68/100 in 2020, indicating strong customer satisfaction.
A major benefit of AT&T internet is the range of speed options. Fiber internet offers speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps (1 GB), which is perfect for gamers, binge-watchers and those who work or go to school from home.
For better value, consider bundling your AT&T internet services with AT&T TV or DIRECTV. With either TV service, you can get Gig internet for just $39.99/mo. for the first year. Other internet speeds may also qualify for a bundling discount.
Why AT&T Internet?
- Fiber internet – AT&T offers plans that range in speed. Fiber internet is the fastest and most reliable form of internet connection, so the option is great for business owners and anyone seeking better internet.
- Bundle packages – In addition to internet, AT&T also offers phone and cable TV services. By bundling your packages, you can save money and bring all your services under AT&T for simpler billing and access to customer service.
- Nationwide hotspots – Every AT&T internet customer has access to nationwide hotspots for no additional charge. The hotspots offer a reliable way to use the internet while traveling.
- Low starting prices- AT&T internet plans start as low as $35/mo. With a range of speeds, the starting price is cost-effective for most customers.
- High data caps – All of AT&T’s internet prices have a 1 TB data cap, except for the Internet 1000 fiber plan that includes unlimited data. For each plan, 1 TB is enough to stream 500 hours of video per month, so it’s a high cap for most users.
AT&T Internet Plans and Pricing
AT&T internet plans run the gamut from small, basic plans for those who use the internet infrequently to huge plans designed for power users.
AT&T internet prices start at $35/mo., which is competitive with other providers of the same internet type, though they may vary by location. AT&T internet deals, with special pricing, are available for military members, veterans, college students and members or employees of various organizations.
AT&T home internet subscribers also have access to the company’s nationwide network of hotspots, allowing you to stay connected when traveling around the corner or across the country. These are not separate AT&T WiFi plans, but rather a perk of being an AT&T customer. And with the included Smart Home Manager app, you’ll be able to control your connected smart home devices from the palm of your hand, no matter where you happen to be.
|Fiber 100||$35.00/mo.||Fiber||100 Mbps||• Gaming|
• Streaming HD videos
|Internet 300||$45.00/mo.||Fiber||300 Mbps||• Streaming on multiple devices||Check Availability|
|Internet 1000||$60.00/mo.||Fiber||940 Mbps||• Unlimited use|
• Serious online gamers
• Business use
|AT&T Internet||$40.00/mo.||Fiber/Copper Hybrid||75 Mbps||• Stream single videos|
• Shop online
|AT&T Fixed Wireless||$49.99/mo.||Fixed Wireless||25 Mbps||• Stream music on multiple devices||Check Availability|
*For 12 mos, plus taxes & equip. fee Autopay & Paperless bill req’d. $10/mo equip.fee applies. Ltd. avail/areas.
AT&T Internet Deals
$100 Visa Rewards Card
When new customers order their service online, they’ll be given a $100 Visa Rewards Card that can be redeemed at a variety of shops and restaurants. However, this deal is subject to change.
AT&T Smart Home Manager
All AT&T internet customers get access to the Smart Home Manager app, which lets you see who’s connected to your network, manage family screen time and change your network password from anywhere.
Bundle Your AT&T Internet
AT&T is one of the largest providers in the U.S. of internet, wireless and TV. By bundling all your services under AT&T, you can save money. Through bundling, you’ll also make your life easier by having to reach only one company for all your customer service needs. With bundle packages, AT&T customers save about $10/mo. and enjoy customer rewards like $300 in Visa Rewards Cards.
Popular AT&T Internet Bundles
|DIRECTV Entertainment All-Included + Internet 768K-100M||$109.99/mo.|
|DIRECTV Choice + Internet 768K-100M||$114.99/mo.|
|DIRECTV Ultimate + Internet 768K-100M||$129.99/mo.|
AT&T Data Caps
AT&T’s internet plans come with 1 TB data caps. The Internet 1000 fiber plan is unlimited.
AT&T does charge a fee of $10 for every 50 GB by which you exceed your limit. However, they do offer the option to upgrade any of their plans to unlimited data for an additional $30/mo.
AT&T Internet Fees and Equipment
AT&T leases its AT&T Gateway, which is a modem and router combo, for $10/mo.
Setup and installation fees
AT&T offers professional installation for new customers that costs a flat fee of $99. You can also opt for self-installation if your home is already wired for AT&T internet.
You can cancel your AT&T internet service for any reason within 14 days of activation. After that time, there’s a $180 early termination fee. AT&T will prorate your fee by $15 based on the number of months your service is active. For example, your cancellation fee is only $15 if your service has been active for 12 months.
Late payment fees
AT&T does charge late payment fees, but the amount varies by state.
All of AT&T’s internet plans include a 1 TB data cap except for the Internet 1000 plan, which is unlimited. If you go over your data, AT&T will charge you $10 for every 50 GB over, with a maximum charge of $100/mo. for AT&T Internet or AT&T Fiber.
AT&T Customer Service
If you need to reach AT&T customer service, you can do so in a variety of ways. One of the easiest is by phone at (800) 288-2020, available 24 hours a day. If you’re having a technical problem, you may want to run a speed test before you call so that you can give that information to the technician.
Pros and cons of AT&T internet
- A variety of plans meant to meet the needs of many different consumers
- Enough plans to meet a variety of price ranges
- High customer satisfaction ratings
- Limited service area
- Plans do come with data caps
- Few special deals are given in exchange for signing up for their services
AT&T Internet Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I get AT&T internet only? Yes. AT&T offers a variety of internet plans. You can save some money by bundling your internet service with AT&T TV or DIRECTV services, but this is not required.
- How much is AT&T internet? AT&T internet-only plans are $35/mo.
- Does AT&T have unlimited WiFi? You can use a router to create a home WiFi network that allows you to wirelessly connect all your devices to the internet. In addition, all AT&T home internet subscribers have access to a national network of AT&T hotspots. This gives you unlimited WiFi access whenever you are in range of a hotspot, anywhere in the country.